Not all underwear is equal — there is a time and a place for everything. Never is that more true than when it comes to sport.
Different sports require different types of movement, they have different styles of sports kit — some sports involve body contact, others don’t. It’s logical that the style of underwear that you wear for one sport may be completely inappropriate when it comes to another.
Let’s take a look at some key styles of underwear and see if we can match them up with the relevant sports.
- Briefs seem to be favoured by football players, squash, badminton, and tennis players.
- This is a style of underwear designed to let your body move, keeping your cock and balls snug and supported, but not offering any real protection.
- Inevitably, your briefs are going to get sweaty, but that’s part of what makes the after-match showers such a highlight.
“At the gym, I wear briefs — because I sweat a lot…” Dani Robles
- Hockey probably needs more investigation, as it’s a sport where the players seem to be fairly versatile. There’s a lot of running involved in hockey, so the right pair of boxer briefs could be the answer.
“I’m slightly odd because I’m the goalkeeper in the hockey team. I wear a full set of body armour and padding and usually just wear boxer briefs…” — Tom Simpson, London Royals
- Old-school boxers give you comfort and help to keep their air flowing around your body.
- This style of underwear is best suited for those sports that don’t require any sudden movements — sports such as golf, darts, or archery.
“There isn’t really any specific golf underwear. I just wear my running stuff so standard Under Armour classic boxers or Under Armour compression shorts…” — Andrew Graves, Irons Golf
- The jockstrap is the classic piece of sports kit that we’ve all adopted as one of our favourite styles of underwear. Although initially invented for the bike couriers of Boston, it’s the sport of American football that has really helped to elevate the jockstrap to an iconic style of underwear.
- This is a style of underwear for a sport that involves body contact — the design of the jockstrap provides some sort of protection to your cock and balls. Rugby, or Australian Rules Football are obvious choices for sports where the jockstrap should be your go-to underwear option.
- Jockstraps are also designed to be able to hold a protective cup — ideal for sports such as boxing, cricket, hockey, or lacrosse.
“I tend to wear boxers, but really you just play in whatever’s comfortable for you. One guy wears a jock, most others just boxer briefs. It’s not a big thing really…” — Stuart Forward, London Titans
- It’s not immediately apparent which sports would lend themselves to wearing a thong. While dancers have created their own version of the thong with the dance belt, it’s probably your more sedentary sports that require thinking not movement, where the intimate fit of a thong might help you to keep your mind on the game. I’m thinking chess, poker, or darts.
“On Twitter, I always get involved in #ThongThursday…” — Dick Baker
- Cycling is all about the lycra — those shorts come with in-built padding, so commando is the only option.
- Greco-Roman wrestling is of interest specifically because of the skin-tight lycra singlets that the wrestlers wear, making it clear that everyone goes commando when wrestling.
- Swimming is another sport where underwear is obviously completely superfluous. Nothing says streamlined speed better than a super-tight pair of lycra swim-briefs.
- Rowing requires a smoothness of movement that can only be achieved with a skin-tight lycra singlet and no underwear.
“Cyclists have to wear lycra shorts which are padded heavily and can’t wear underwear…” — Nasser Tell, Cycle Out
We want to hear your opinion
Get the look: Underwear with impact
What does your underwear say about you?
Guys of all shapes and sizes are continuing to flood social media with confident selfies in their underwear. There’s a lot to love about that, especially when the underwear that they’re wearing is form-fitting and eye-catching, with bright, energetic colours.
The underwear that you’re wearing probably sends subliminal messages that you’re not even conscious of.
We’ve done a deep dive on Instagram to do our best to be fluent in the language of underwear.
Fresh and bold in orange
Bright, optimistic — you’re starting off the day on a positive note and feeling good about the world.
Real men wear pink
You’re confident. You know who are. You’ve got an outgoing attitude and don’t mind being the centre of attention.
You’re having a mellow day. You might want to spend a bit of time with your own thoughts. This could be the day that you skip the gym. Maybe you’ll go and see a movie.
Turning heads in the gym
You’re feeling sexy and you want everyone to know it. Maybe it’s Thursday night and you want to party like it’s a Saturday.
You’re on your way to the office. You’ve got some tricky spreadsheets that you need get finished for your boss. Your favourite member of the X-Men is Cyclops.
When the lighting is good…
You’re heading out on a first date. You’re feeling clean and confident. As soon as the conversation starts to dry up you’ll suggest getting naked.
Does my ass look big in this?
You’re going out dancing with your friends, but you’re going to wear your jeans low enough so everyone knows you’re wearing a jock-strap. After a couple of frozen margaritas your t-shirt comes off.
Soft like a pillow
It’s a Tuesday. Your fuck-buddy is coming over. You’re going to make a bit of an effort, but you know that you don’t have to try too hard.
Briefs for working boys
These are the briefs you buy when you’re heading off on vacation. You know you need some resort-wear and these have tropical freshness that you need when you’re heading out for cocktails.
Dreaming of summer
You’re at work but you wish you weren’t. You’re supposed to be concentrating on writing a report, but really you’re planning what you’ll get up to on the weekend.
Come to bed briefs
You’re busy. You’ve got things to do. Places to go. People to see.
Want to have some fun?
You work in a bar. You’re relying on your winning personality to secure some tips.
Show me yours and I’ll show you mine?
You’ve got an important interview for a big promotion. You’re going to nail it.
Celebrate the New Year with some erotic gay fiction
The naked men of J.D. Dragan
Super Hung. Super Entertaining.
Matty J is doing it just for the fans
#ManCrush: Danilo Ruocco
How do you masturbate?
Fetish1 week ago
What happens inside a gay bathhouse?
Arts & Culture2 weeks ago
Outdoors Cruising: the art behind the bushes
Hot1 week ago
Hung Young Brit: Creating reality porn
Health2 weeks ago
Men of Colour Talk About PrEP
Fetish4 days ago
Can we talk underwear?
Hot1 week ago
How popular are gay cuckold fantasies?
Bears2 days ago
The ultimate gay muscle-daddy?
Arts & Culture2 weeks ago
The photographer who likes an artful nude