Connect with us
Matt Smith of Fire and Steel Fitness (image supplied) Matt Smith of Fire and Steel Fitness (image supplied)

Fitness

Personal trainer tips on travel and fitness

Matt Smith of Fire and Steel Fitness (image supplied)

Published

on

I caught up with personal trainer Matt Smith of Fire and Steel Fitness, for some hints and tips on how to keep things focused while travelling.

Why does work travel pose some specific risks to maintaining our health and fitness?

Any sort of disruption to your normal schedule is a disruption, and getting knocked off the horse happens. Also, jet-lag can be a bitch.

The key is to make sure that you stay active — your body will thank you for the endorphins, your brain will be satiated with the routine, and your progress won’t be hampered.

Is there any point in trying to stick to our normal regime while we’re travelling for work?

That depends on what your goals are, and how fast you want to achieve them. At the end of the day, one missed workout due to a two-day trip to Bristol isn’t going to be detrimental. A week-long trip would need some consideration. A week of drinking and eating like shit will effect you the same away as it will at home.

Hotel gyms are unlikely to have the equipment that I’m used to at my gym — is there any point packing my gym gear?

It doesn’t matter if they don’t have everything, they have something — or, you can find something. If you can’t adapt, you’re too precious and so is your program. There are a million and one ways to build muscle, burn fat, and improve your health — cardio, cable machines, body-weight, a local park — at least one will be open to you.

When you’re meeting with clients, it can be hard to be too strict about what you’re eating or drinking. If your focus is on building a client relationship, you don’t want to be fussing about whether or not your meal is gluten-free. Any hints or tips on how to navigate client entertaining from a health and fitness perspective?

The only reason you should be fussing about gluten is if you’re intolerant. Gluten-free options offer no fat-loss benefits. If you are gluten intolerant, you should be well-versed in how to chose wisely.

If you’re simply trying to watch what you eat, make sure to select something high in protein, and swap out any chips for seasonal greens, and drink water instead of beer or wine.

What about room-service and the mini-bar — is that completely off-limits from a health and fitness perspective?

Nuts are a great source of fibre and protein, but calories are calories. Binge-eating on a Snickers bar in the safety of your Travelodge doesn’t make them calorie free.

What are some general hints and tips to help me try and keep my health and fitness from going completely off the rails while I’m travelling for work?

Plan ahead, understand where you’re going, and whats near by. Is there a gym in-house, or will you have to find one? Will you have time on your work trip? Will you care if you’re with your mates?

Don’t eat shit all the time. By all means, enjoy the delicacies, but spread the wealth. Try to keep 80 percent of your day on track, then let your hair down the other 20 percent.

Have fun, but don’t do a disservice to all the hard work that you’ve been putting in.

Read more from Gareth Johnson

We want to hear your opinion

Advertisement

Fitness

The hottest water polo team in the world?

Published

on

London Orca water polo (image supplied)
London Orca water polo (image supplied)

The gay water polo team from London are London Orca.

Incredibly enthusiastic, the London Orca squad are currently battling it out against the world’s best gay water polo teams at the Gay Games in Paris.

We’ve been going deep on their social media to try and keep track of the matches and follow their progress, but to be honest it’s a bit confusing — no one seems to be too sure about the results or which teams are emerging as the ones to beat.

What we do now is that there’s been a reception at the UK embassy in Paris, there’s been several parties, a fair bit of pool-side drag, and a lot of fun.

Keep up the great work Orca — you’re doing your city proud!

Follow London Orca on Instagram

Follow London Orca on Twitter

Read more from Gareth Johnson

Continue Reading

Trending