Some people may think of a caravan vacation as being a bit of a safe option, an ideal family-friendly expedition if you’re not going too far from home and are just looking for somewhere with a bit of space that the kids can run around in. But, like any sort of travel experience, a caravan vacation can be whatever you choose to make it.
One of my dream vacations is to tow an Airstream caravan across the United States — visiting some of the iconic destinations, the ultimate road-trip.
Why an Airstream caravan?
The company behind the Airstream began building caravans in the late 1920s, but it was in 1936 that the classic Airstream model was first introduced to the world. Made from silver aluminium and constructed in a streamlined shape to cut down wind-resistance.
The Airstream has found a place within the world’s popular culture consciousness — primarily because company founder Wally Byam began leading groups of Airstream owners on group vacations around the United States. The convoying caravans were known as Airstreamers — there is nothing quite as striking as witnesses a convoy of Airstream caravans on the move.
How to do it
Airstreams are still being manufactured at the company’s factory in Ohio, but for the casual Airstreamer there are also options to hire a caravan for your expedition. California was the original home of the Airstream, and there does seem to be some sort of spiritual connection between an Airstream adventure and the wide open spaces and rugged landscapes of California and the South West of the United States.
The best time to visit this part of the world is between June and September, when you can enjoy the beaches and the great outdoor living that California offers. But the desert climate of the south-west region means that there is year-round sunshine, so you really can enjoy your Airstream caravan travels without too many restrictions.
Where to go
My dream Airstream caravan vacation is to begin from Los Angeles, driving up the coast road to Carmel and Monterey, and then cut across to Yosemite National Park.
Carmel is a small coastal artists’ colony perched on a beautiful white-sand beach. Once you’ve parked the Airstream, everything is within walking distance as you wander around this village with its laid-back beach-side vibe.
The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary features tide pools and kelp forests, which create a home for a huge range of aquatic life — you’ll find sea lions, sea otters, dolphins, and humpback whales. You can go sea-kayaking to get a closer look.
Yosemite National Park covers a huge area of spectacular wilderness. The best place to start is with some hiking in Mariposa Grove, and then aim for the top of Sentinel Dome. There are climbing schools and guides available if you fancy some serious climbing.
We want to hear your opinion
Travel Tuesday: Costa Rica
Is this a destination that you’ll be adding to your wish-list?
When to go
What is the perfect gay holiday destination in central America? A lot of people would answer that question with two words, Costa Rica.
There are many reasons why this beautiful country is an ideal destination for your holiday.
The best time to go there is between mid December to the end of April during the dry season.
Located between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, Costa Rica is the most visited nation in the Central American region. It is a peaceful country blessed with an ideal climate all year around and offers a quality of life unparalleled in the Western Hemisphere.
Friendly Costa Ricans will greet you with a smile and the words, “Pura Vida!” – “the pure life!”.
Costa Rica is also one of the most bio-diverse nation in the world, and a pioneer in ecotourism. More than 25% of Costa Rica’s territories are protected as easily accessible Conservation Areas and National Parks.
Two oceans, endless beaches, mystic rainforests, enchanting cloud forests, active volcanoes, stunning waterfalls, relaxing hot springs, winding rivers, exciting river rapids, picturesque villages, romantic sunsets, and a tropical year around climate, all combine to make Costa Rica the most magical gay destination you will ever experience.
Costa Rica is without a doubt the perfect country in central America to meet new friends and have fun. Here are a few places you cannot miss while you are there.
- La Avispa Discoteque or Bochinche Bar or Puchos Strip Club in San Jose City
- Club Karma in Manuel Antonio Beach
- Gay Saunas and Gay massage – there are some options in San Jose City
- Some places offer escort services and private massages
Many people are looking for a holiday where they can rest and relax. Costa Rican luxury gay-friendly resorts are waiting to indulge your desires. Wellness spas and retreats are available to pamper you. You can lounge on a beach, relax by a pool with a cocktail, or play around on world class golf courses.
Gay-friendly hotels and rustic lodges are available to fit any budget, and lots of private luxury villas or million dollar mansions are available for those who can afford it.
- Best Western San Jose City or Colours Oasis Resort
- Hotel Villa Roca, Hotel Vela Bar, La Foresta Resort, Hotel Mono Azul, Hotel Gaia or Hotel San Bada in Manuel Antonio Beach
- Hotel Vista Ballena in Uvita Beach
- Arenal Springs Resort, Baldi Springs Resort, Tabacon Resort, The Springs Resort, or Arenal Nayara in La Fortuna
- Club del Mar Resort or Hotel Villa Lapas in Jaco Beach
- Hotel El Establo en Monteverde
- Tortuguero Lodge or Mawamba Lodge in Tortuguero Canals
- Hotel Suria o Trogon Lodge in Savegre
What to do
- Private tour in Carara National Park or Manuel Antonio National Park or Arenal Volcano National Park or La Fortuna Waterfall or Poas Volcano National Park or La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- Mi Cafecito Coffee Tour or DOKA Coffee Tour
- Visit to Nauyaca Waterfalls
- Titi Canopy Tour or Los Suenos Canopy Tour
- Gay sunset cruise in Manuel Antonio Bay
- Sunset Cruise in Flamingo Beach or Tamarindo Beach
- White Water Rafting in Manuel Antonio Beach or La Fortuna
- ATV Rides in Manuel Antonio Beach or Jaco Beach or La Fortuna or Flamingo Beach
- Sea Kayaking or Scuba Diving or Sport Fishing in Manuel Antonio Beach or Flamingo Beach or Jaco Beach
- Sky Trek, Sky Walk or Aerial Tram in La Fortuna or Monteverde
- Bungee Jumping, Zip lining and Hiking in Monteverde
Whatever you desire that can be found in a pre-arranged Itinerary or a customized Costa Rican holiday package organized. Feel free to contact me for more information and book your next unforgettable holiday.
Celebrate the New Year with some erotic gay fiction
The naked men of J.D. Dragan
Super Hung. Super Entertaining.
Matty J is doing it just for the fans
#ManCrush: Danilo Ruocco
How do you masturbate?
Fetish1 week ago
What happens inside a gay bathhouse?
Arts & Culture2 weeks ago
Outdoors Cruising: the art behind the bushes
Hot1 week ago
Hung Young Brit: Creating reality porn
Health2 weeks ago
Men of Colour Talk About PrEP
Fetish4 days ago
Can we talk underwear?
Hot1 week ago
How popular are gay cuckold fantasies?
Bears2 days ago
The ultimate gay muscle-daddy?
Arts & Culture2 weeks ago
The photographer who likes an artful nude